Special educational needs Information Report

Who are the best people to talk to at Golborne & Maxilla about my child’s difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disability?

Talk to your child’s key person or class teacher about your concerns.

It is likely the class teacher will have discussed your concerns with Veronica Hilliard the school SENDco; you may wish to arrange to meet with her.

If you continue to have concerns, arrange to discuss with Veronica Hilliard- Head teacher.

You may already know that your child has a lifelong learning disability such as Down syndrome, which will require ongoing additional support throughout their education. In these circumstances the school will begin to gather the evidence to apply for an Education Health Care Plan Needs Assessment (EHCNA) which may lead to an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). For some children whose needs are not clear, we may suggest a referral to the Child development service for a full development assessment. Following a referral, you would receive an appointment to accompany your child to meet with a consultant. If you would like a member of staff to support you at this appointment, please speak to the SENDco. We recognise this time can be stressful for parents/carers; the SENDco can offer the following support:

  • Help in advocating for your child’s needs
  • Practical support from our family support workers
  • Putting you in touch with Full of Life – an independent and impartial advice and support service which has trained staff to advise families on special educational needs and disability law and the SEND Code of Practice.

How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s learning, special educational needs or disability?

Your child’s class teacher may initially speak to you at the beginning or the end of a normal school day and /or arrange a further time to discuss the concerns.

The class teacher may also talk to you about any issues at a parent/carer consultation meeting, first term consultation.

The SENDco may contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s difficulties with learning and any possible support strategies the school may be considering.

How will the school consider my views and those of my child with regard to her/his difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disabilities?

At Golborne & Maxilla we believe it is very important for parents/carers to be involved in all areas of their child’s learning and we actively encourage discussions. We believe, where appropriate it is essential to understand your child’s views and difficulties that they may experience in their learning.

You will be able to share your views and discuss your child’s progress at regular meetings with the class teacher/ keyworker and SENDco.

If your child has identified special educational need you will be invited to a termly meeting with your child’s class teacher /keyworker/SENDco.

If your child has a statement of special educational need or an Education, Health Care Plan (EHCP) you will also be able to share your views at the Annual Review.

How does Golborne & Maxilla ensure the teaching staff are appropriately trained to support my child’s special educational needs and/or disability?

At Golborne & Maxilla we believe that your child’s learning needs will first be met through the high-quality teaching delivered by her/his class teacher/keyworker and the nursery team.

The school staffs (teaching and support staff) participate in a wide range of professional development to ensure that there is the appropriate expertise to support children with SEND. We regularly review the school training and professional development for all teachers and support staff to ensure that there is the appropriate expertise to support children with special educational needs.

The school is able to access training programmes from different organisations including Tri Borough training and outreach team based at QE2. Individual training can also be arranged as necessary.


How will the curriculum and the school environment be matched to my child’s needs?

At Golborne & Maxilla we believe your child’s learning will first be met through the high-quality teaching delivered by his /her class teacher/keyworker and nursery team.

We carefully plan our curriculum to match the age, ability and needs of all children.

The class teacher and key worker will adapt lesson planning and teaching to match your child’s special educational needs and /or disability.

It may be appropriate to adopt different strategies, use specific resources and adapt outcomes to meet your child’s learning needs.

Additional specialist advice is sought when appropriate and, when necessary, accessibility aids and technology may be used to support your child’s learning. (please see accessibility plan for further details)

What types of support may be suitable and available for my child?

This really depends upon the nature of your child’s needs and difficulties with learning. But our education provision will match the needs of the four broad areas of need as defined in the SEND Code of Practice 2014;

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and mental Health
  • Sensory and /or Physical Needs

At Golborne & Maxilla we have a 3 tiered approach to supporting your child’s learning.

Universal-This is the quality first teaching your child will receive from her/his class teacher and may include some minor adaptations to match learning needs.

Targeted- It may be appropriate to consider making additional short term special educational provision to remove or reduce any obstacles to your child’s learning. This takes the form of a graduated approach of a) accessing your child’s needs, b) planning the most effective and appropriate intervention, c) providing this intervention and d) reviewing the impact on your child’s progress towards individual learning outcomes.

Specialist support- it may be necessary to seek specialist advice and regular long-term support from a specialist professional outside the school in order to plan for the best possible learning outcomes for your child. This may include educational psychology, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, sensory advisory teachers and the child development service the school may prioritise referrals to these services. However, for a very small number of pupil’s access to these specialists may be through a statement of SEN or an EHC plan.

The current interventions provided at Golborne & Maxilla schools include:

1: 1 learning Support Assistants working with children with Autism.

Use of Colourful Semantics as a communication tool for children with Autism.

Use of Attention Autism Sessions, with a staff member trained in its delivery

Using TEACCH approach with children with Autism

Carrying out strategies by Speech and language therapists for groups of children with a range of speech and language difficulties including Makaton as a supportive mode of communication alongside talk; modelling language. Language support group intervention.

Program of observation and recommendations by the schools link EP

Carrying out strategies recommended by occupational therapists for children with sensory needs, feeding support

Working with CDS: Woodfield Road to support children with a range of needs, including Autism

Working closely with EYAIT colleagues to develop our enrichment targeted specialist provision.

Working closely with Speech Therapist commissioned by Golborne & Maxilla

How will the curriculum and the school environment be matched to my child’s needs?

At Golborne and Maxilla we believe that your child’s learning needs will first be met through the high-quality teaching delivered by her/his class teacher, Keyworker and nursery team.

We carefully plan our curriculum to match the age, ability and needs of all children.

The class teacher and key worker will adapt lesson planning and teaching to match your child’s special educational needs and /or disability

It may be appropriate to adopt different strategies, use specific resources and adapt outcomes to meet your child’s learning needs

Additional specialist advice is sought when appropriate and, when necessary, accessibility aids and technology may be used to support your child’s learning.

Golborne and Maxilla regularly review its Accessibility plan to ensure that all children have the fullest access to the curriculum and the school site.

All classrooms at Golborne and Maxilla are situated on the ground floor, making the school accessible for children with physical needs and disabilities. There is a lift to ensure access to the first floor where the soft play and sensory room is located.

Large classrooms enable disabled access to be offered for wheelchair users; we have disabled children’s changing and toilet facilities. Where appropriate, symbols, signs, PECS and Makaton are employed to facilitate communication with children.

A ramp leads from the main classrooms into the outdoor learning space.

The school is able to make adaptations to the environment to cater for the needs of children with visual or hearing impairment. We endeavour to provide interpreters and translations to meet the needs of parents/carers whose first language is not English.

The school provides an extensive range of specialist resources which can be used to adapt and enrich the curriculum for children with SEND. These include: resources for the development of fine and gross motor control, resources to support speech and language support, a range of nurture games to support emotional and social needs and practical materials to support learning needs.


How will you support my child to reach his/her learning outcomes?

The class teacher, keyworker and nursery team ensure that your child receives appropriate teaching and support in order to reach these goals. The learning plan, strategies and progress will be reviewed termly

External agencies and specialists may also be involved in the review of your child’s progress and adapt their planning accordingly

What is an EHC Plan and who can request one for my child?

The purpose of an EHC Plan is to make specialist education provision to meet the special educational needs of a child or young person, to secure better outcomes for him/her across education, health and social care and, as he/she gets older, prepare for adulthood. If a child is still making no progress within the nursery, the Nursery or the parents/carers can request that an Education, Health and Care (EHC) assessment be made by the Local Authority. This means that the child will be formally assessed and depending on the results of the assessment, may be given an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC plan). This is a formal document which would outline what extra support the child is entitled to by law, and what budget is dedicated in order to provide it. Parents/ carers and all professionals working with the child will submit information about the child for the EHC assessment which should take no longer than 20 weeks to complete. An EHC Plan will include:

The views and aspirations of your child

A full description of his/her special educational needs and any health and social care needs,

Establish outcomes for your child’s progress

Meet your child’s needs and support the achievement of the agreed outcomes.

The EHC Plan would be reviewed twice a year for children under 5 years. This will involve parents and carers and all relevant professionals reviewing the progress made by the child and deciding whether they will continue to need an EHC Plan. If so, new aims and provision will be set and a new EHC plan drawn up.

Any child in the nursery who has an EHC Plan will continue to have an SEN support plan, which will incorporate the entitlement and suggestions made by the EHC plan. The SENDco will be responsible for ensuring that this happens.

The SENDCO will be responsible for providing information for parents/carers about each stage of the process from identification to transition to school.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

We sometimes run parent/carer workshops in school to help you understand the strategies used in school. In addition, we may be able to offer you individual training in specific support strategies relevant to your child

There may be strategies or activities suggested for you to do at home to support your child’s learning.

You will have opportunity to meet with other professionals involved in supporting your child

How is support allocated to children and how do they move between different levels of support in school?

Golborne and Maxilla Nursery Schools receive funding from the Education Funding Agency (High Needs Block) via the Local Authority.

Support is allocated on the basis of need, agreed between the Head teacher, SENDco and class teacher, and informed by the observation and assessment of the nursery team and information from external professional support for individual children. This is also the process for children moving between different levels of support.

The SENDco can apply for external funding to Local Authority for support for individual children, either short term (contingency funding) or long term (EHCP)

The Head teacher and the SENDco discuss the effectiveness of the schools current intervention and provision and prioritise an action plan, which may include additional or alternative interventions, staff training and equipment needs.

This process is reviewed regularly to ensure the best possible interventions is provided to those children who require additional support to learn.

How will the school know that the support has made a difference to my child’s learning and how can I and my child be included in this review process?

Your child’s progress will be assessed both in terms of his/her regular learning within the class and with regard to specific intervention programmes

The impact of the support given is carefully measured to ensure that the learning outcomes have been achieved and if not, what adaptations are necessary. It may be decided that a further period of support would be beneficial for your child

You and your child will be kept informed and encouraged to be actively involved at all stages of this support

What support will there be for my child’s happiness and well-being at Golborne and Maxilla schools?

At Golborne and Maxilla we believe that the happiness and well-being of all our pupils is paramount. All members of staff take this aspect of school life very seriously.

You can be confident that in particular your child’s class teacher, key worker and the SENDco are available to provide support to match your child’s needs. If you have any concerns, please feel free to contact your child’s keyworker.

Some of the ways we support your children in this area are:

  • Home visits prior to starting nursery
  • A graduated settling in program
  • The keyworker relationship
  • Individual, child-centred planning
  • Discussion with Art Therapist
  • Access to individual art therapy or group therapy if required
  • Targeted weekly Nurture Group Interventions
  • Termly/reviews/ SEN support plans
  • Children’s records of development and portfolios
  • Choosing books/boards/ visual timetables, now/next boards/ social stories


Children requiring additional support can access sessions with our school Art Therapist either through 1:1 weekly sessions or group therapy

You should also feel free to contact your child’s class teacher or keyworker if you have any concerns.

How is my child included in all the same activities as his/her peers at school?

Golborne and Maxilla are inclusive schools and committed to providing equal opportunities for all children

Educational visits are available for all children

When necessary the school will make reasonable adjustments to ensure that children with SEND and or disabilities have access to all areas of provision in a manner that is appropriate to their disability, experiences, interests and needs. As for all children at Golborne & Maxilla provision for children with additional needs is tailored to the individual

You should also feel free to contact your child’s class teacher or key worker if you have any concerns

How will Golborne and Maxilla school support my child in transition stages?

Before starting at Golborne & Maxilla, your child’s keyworker will come and visit you and your child at home. This will happen at least once, but possibly more, depending on your child’s needs. This will allow us to have a very detailed and clear picture of your child’s interests and needs, so that we can plan for them before they start. It also helps your child to make the emotional transition from home to school.

We will tailor your child’s settling in period, according to their needs; planning with you every day from their gradual transition from being in nursery supported by you- to being there without you

Golborne & Maxilla makes arrangements to ensure there is a smooth transition when your child transfers to his/her primary school of choice. This largely consists of serial school transition visits, building up gradually to spending whole sessions in their reception class. It will involve a full handover of information to the receiving class teacher and transition meetings between our SENDco and the new school SENDco- where appropriate. This is, of course, subject to the agreement of the receiving primary school.

If your child has an EHC plan, we will participate and/or facilitate its review in sufficient time prior to him/her moving between key phases. You will be kept informed of these arrangements and asked to attend the reviews.

Who can I contact if I have a complaint about the SEND provision for my child?

Initially speak to your child’s class teacher, keyworker or SENDco. Hopefully they will be able to address your concerns

You can then contact the Head teacher, who may direct you to the schools Complaint Policy and Procedure

If have any other questions about my child at Golborne and Maxilla school, who can I ask?

At Golborne and Maxilla we are very happy to speak to you about any aspects of your child’s education. It is best to speak to one of the following in this order;

Your child’s keyworker

Your child’s class teacher

The SENDco

The Head teacher


The LA Local Offer

For children and Young People between 0-25 Years with Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND) RBKC LA have put together information to help you find out about all the services that exist in your local area. This is the LA SEND Information Report. You can find this on the local authority website on the following link or follow the link on our website: www.localoffer.rbkc.gov.uk

Golborne and Maxilla School Offer

This outlines what we at Golborne and Maxilla can offer in terms of provision and support for young children with special needs and/or disability, and their families. Our school offer is structured in terms of the questions parents will most often want to ask about SEND provision, and the answers to those questions.

Term dates

Autumn Term 2019

  • term starts – Thursday 5th September 2019
  • half term break occurs – Monday 21st October to Friday 25th October 2019
  • back to school from half term – Monday 28th October
  • last day of term – Thursday 19th December

Spring Term 2020

  • term starts – Wednesday 8th January 2020
  • half term break occurs – Monday 17th February to Friday 22nd February 2020
  • back to school from half term Monday 24th February 2020
  • last day of term Friday 3rd April 2020

Summer Term 2020

  • term starts – Tuesday 21st April 2020
  • half term break occurs – Monday 25th May to Friday 29th May 2020
  • back to school from half term – Monday 1st June
  • last day of term – Friday 17th July 2020

Autumn Term 2020